Putting The Pump Back In The Boat

I had the pump all apart. Here's a shot of it stripped down to just the suction piece casting. I cleaned off all the grease, but didn't paint it.

First problem was the little missing chip from the bearing cap. Nothing really big, but the sharp edges might have torn up the rubber ring that goes over the cap. So I filled it in with JB Weld and let it harden.

Then the oil seal goes in the cap...

Then it's off to the machine shop to have the old thrust bearing pressed off the shaft, and the new one put on. Boy do I like having an auto parts store and machine shop three blocks away. Then I put the oil seal in the suction piece and stuck the shaft back in place.

Now for the packing rings. Here's the old and the new, side by side. The old ones look pretty bad. The manual says that loose packing can allow air to enter the pump, which can cause cavitation, and loss of acceleration. So new packing couldn't hurt. The new packing is on the right. It's soaked in some kind of grease. You roll each piece up around the shaft, and slide it back into the suction piece.

Okay, now the suction piece is back together. I brought the boat home from the storage yard. It didn't look too bad after eight months. I charged the battery, fooled with the electrical system a little, and it started right up. It wasn't running perfectly, so I pulled the carb apart, cleaned it up, and changed the bowl gaskets. There was a stuck check valve in one of the accelerator pumps, and some goo in one of the jets. After I put the cleaned carb back on the engine ran a lot better.

I made sure the engine was running well before I put the jet pump in, because it's not good to run the pump dry. So now I could put in the suction piece. It went a LOT easier than I thought it would. Here it sits, awaiting the impeller.

Now it was time to pull the bowl portion of the jet pump apart, so I could replace the bearing and seals in it. Plus there were some bushings to replace. But my bowl didn't look anything like any of the ones in my Seloc service manual. Plus the stainless steel fasteners were corroded into the bowl. I twisted two of them off before I stopped trying to get the bowl apart. I think I'll be able to get the remains off with a drill and an easy-out. I took some pictures and posted them on the jet boat board, asking was kind of pump I have. Hopefully I'll get some helpful answers, and I can finish pulling it apart. Otherwise I'll just keep removing stainless fasteners.